Tres leches cake

Sunday, November 4, 2012


It’s funny, I’ve heard Tres leches cake talked about often as a Mexican dessert, but before coming to Chile I can’t say I remember ever eating it.

The Mexican desserts I grew up on (which were few if you can’t tell from this completely American blog) were bread pudding, arroz con leche and mostly my mom’s famous flan.  When I came to Chile, however, I soon learned that my new friend, Carlos’s favorite dessert was Tres leches cake.  Also Mexican, he unlike me, grew up eating it and has ordered it at every opportunity here in Chile.  But he was never satisfied with it.  Thus, I decided that I would attempt to make it for his birthday.

I’ll admit, I was nervous.  I’d never made it before but here I was making it for the first time for my friend’s birthday.  When he cut into the cake and extracted the first messy piece (I had no idea that tres leches was so moist...) I was praying that it at least tasted good, because it sure didn’t look pretty.  Much to my surprise though, Carlos and my other friends who tried it, loved it.  In fact, I’ve been asked several times since then to make it again and ended up making it for my roommate Sole’s birthday.  At her party I received tons of great reviews of the cake so I would say this recipe is a winner!

Tres leches cake (adapted from Alton Brown)

Ingredients for the cake: 
6 3/4 ounces cake flour, plus extra for pan (about 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces sugar (about 1 cup)
5 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions for the cake: 
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour a 13 by 9-inch metal pan and set aside.
2) Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
3) Place the butter into a bowl and using an electric mixer (or just by hand) beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute.
4) Decrease the speed to low and with the mixer still running, gradually add the sugar over 1 minute.
5) Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix to thoroughly combine.
6) Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
7) Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches and mix just until combined.
8) Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. If you use a 13in x 9in pan (which I did not, I used a ceramic dish), this will appear to be a very small amount of batter.
9) Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden. Using a knife or toothpick, check for doneness. Don’t worry about over baking though, this cake will get plenty of moisture from the glaze.
10) Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Poke the top of the cake all over with a skewer or fork. Allow the cake to cool completely and then prepare the glaze.

Ingredients for the glaze: 
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup half-and-half

Directions for the glaze:
1) Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and the half-and-half in a medium bowl.
2) Once combined, pour the glaze over the cake.
3) Refrigerate the cake overnight. (This is very important so be sure to make this cake in advance!)

Ingredients for the frosting: 
2 cups heavy cream
6 ounces sugar (about 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions for the frosting:
1) Place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a large bowl.
2) Using an electric mixer whisk together until stiff peaks are formed and mixture is thick.
3) Spread the topping over the cake and allow to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
4) For the chocolate lettering you see above, use a piping bag or plastic bag filled with melted chocolate.