Pasta Sauce with Meat, Vegan Style

Monday, October 22, 2012


I never thought I would cook with TVP. There. I said it. I lived in a co-op for an entire year with a bin full of TVP and never touched it once.  After all, what would I do with that spongy tasteless stuff known as Textured Vegetarian Protein or TVP for short?  What would I make with it?  Why would I not just cook with meat?  I got my answer when I entered into a life of post-graduation poverty.  I have not bought meat to cook with since being here.  Instead, I eat meat when I’m out or when someone else cooks it but I never buy it myself because I’m trying to cheaply, and creatively acquire my protein without meat.  But I digress.

One day, as my friends and one of the cutest couples and sweetest people in the world, were leaving Chile to continue their Catmoji venture (if you like cats you and sharing pictures of them check it out!), they left me some cooking supplies.  Among the things they left me were 4 packs of oreos, an assortment of other things and the dreaded TVP.  This time, I was ready for it though.  Having lived in my co-op all year there was one dish with TVP which really impressed me.  That was the lasagna with TVP instead of ground meat.  It seriously tasted and had the texture of ground meat.  So I knew what I had to make, not lasagna (too many ingredients and too big for just me) but pasta sauce with TVP.  Instead of ground meat, I decided to substitute TVP.  It also helped me knock out the goal of making my own pasta sauce and I think this one’s a winner.

Next time, I plan to add more fresh herbs instead of dried ones, maybe a bit of shredded carrot (suggested to take the bitterness out of the canned tomatoes), and amp up the amount of spices added. I’ll probably add in a bay leaf and any other spices I can find in the cabinet.  If you’d like to make this recipe with TVP, soak your TVP in hot water for 10 to twenty minutes, squeeze it out using a fine mesh strainer and then add it when you add the wine, tomato sauce, and all those other things.

Pasta Sauce with TVP or Beef (adapted from Bon Appétit)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground beef (or 1 ½ cups TVP soaked and drained)
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled (or fresh basil, chopped)
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled (or fresh oregano, chopped)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
½ cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
1 bay leaf
¾ cup parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
1) Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
2) Add ground beef and cook until brown, breaking up with fork, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beef to plate. If using TVP soak about ¾ cup of dried TVP in boiling water. Let sit for 10-20 minutes and drain well before adding in step.
3) Add onion and garlic to skillet and sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
4) Stir in parsley, basil, oregano and paprika and continue cooking 1 minute.
5) Return beef to skillet (or add TVP) add tomatoes, tomato sauce and wine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.
6) Toss pasta with sauce and if desired, 3/4 cup grated Parmesan in large bowl.  Serve