Chewy Chocolate White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Thursday, September 22, 2011



It was a long Sunday at work and all I wanted to do was sit down. But Micah reminded me that we had lots of ingredients to get through before the end of the summer when my friends move out of their house and go home for the month before school starts. We started halfway through the summer with a ten pound bag of sugar which Micah invested in. Sadly got down to just three or four pounds. I'd like to say that lots of it was wasted on experiments that went wrong but I'd guess that those uneaten experiments account for just 4 or 5 cups of that sugar. At the most. Meaning we consumed the rest and are still continuing to consume it.

Fortunately, it was not I who was eating these cookies but my coworkers. I decided that since my boss is always bringing in food for us (and I am always eating it) that I should bring something for my coworkers. After all, I bake all the time, why not? So I took about 14 cookies (which sparked outrage from Micah who thought I was stealing all his cookies) and which made me think that with just three other coworkers I would have enough after work to take home to my aunt and even take some to another friend. Wrong. These cookies were devoured. My boss marveled at the texture of them and a coworker asked me if they were from a box. To which my boss said, “I'm really good at making those slice and bakes, I know exactly how long to bake them for.” Sigh. Someone needs to teach him how to cook. In the mean time, I think I'll try to keep bringing cookies.

These are super dense chocolate cookies even without using Dutch press cocoa or the Hershey's special dark cocoa powder that some other bakers like the Brown Eyed Baker or Two Peas and their Pod suggest but the white chocolate chips seemed to balance the chocolate out nicely.

Chewy Chocolate White Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Ingredients
1-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dutch-process cocoa* ( we used regular Hershey’s)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed and room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 cups chopped white chocolate (we used white chocolate chips)

*Substituting with natural unprocessed cocoa is not recommended. The Oreo-like flavor comes from the richer dutch-processed cocoa. (We didn't really care about the oreo cookie flavor so we just skipped the expensive dutch press cocoa and used Hershey's, we're college kids, come on.)

Directions
1)Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line baking sheets with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2)Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa, and set aside. Beat the butter on medium-high until light and add sugars, creaming well. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternately with the milk in one batch, mixing well. Chill dough for 15 minutes.
3)Scoop the dough onto a parchment (yeah parchment! great investment)- or silpat-lined cookie sheet, press down on them slightly, and bake for 13-15 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely on the cookie sheet and store in an air-tight container.
4) Share with coworkers! (and don't plan to have leftovers)