Crostini with Brie and Tomatoes

Friday, September 2, 2011


It was a Friday evening and my friend Dan and I had decided to make dinner. We all needed a trip to the store so Dan, Manoli, and I all jumped in the car and headed to Safeway. Wandering around for a bit, not sure of what to make that would not cost me very much money, I settled on sweet potatoes for sweet potato fries and a thin loaf of bread to make crostini. Pretty cheap. I then decided to make use of the beautiful heirloom tomatoes my boss had so generously given me, and the brie cheese which Dan had donated to me, in order to make us some appetizers while Dan prepared the real meal. Not everyone was a fan (Manoli doesn't like brie and Micah doesn't like tomatoes) but I think Dan and I enjoyed them. Or at least I did. Well anyway, I thought they were good and they were super simple as a nice appetizer...

Crostini with Brie and Tomatoes

Ingredients
Crostini
8 slices of french bread
8 slices of brie cheese

Tomato topping
1 fresh tomato, diced
2 teaspoons parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2) Slice the bread on the diagonal, into ½ inch slices. Top with a piece of brie cheese. Place baguette slices face side up on a baking sheet. Bake for 4-5 minutes, or until the brie is melted. Remove from oven.
3) Combine all Tomato topping ingredients in a small pan over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) Top crostini with about 1 tablespoon of the tomato. Serve immediately.