The Softest Scrambled Eggs. Ever.

Friday, May 17, 2013


Okay, I know I said I’ve been baking a lot lately, which is true, but here’s just one more breakfast recipe which I’ve been meaning to post for a while.

They are the softest eggs you will ever eat.  Ever.  Seriously.  If you make them correctly, they’re amazing.  And they’re simple.  They just take a bit of patience, and trust me, it will pay off.

I first discovered these amazing eggs because my mother was talking about how good they were when my brother-in-law made them the last time my parents visited.  Knowing I had to try them for myself, I emailed him for the recipe.

Then I started making them all the time as my go-to eggs.  At a hostel in Mendoza, Argentina, randomly at friends’ apartments when there was leftover whipped cream sitting around, you name it.   And I always received great reviews.  So if you haven’t already, try them, but be sure to have something else on hand to eat for breakfast, because these really are just a starter (they somehow reduce in size quite a bit), albeit the best way to start the day.

The Softest Eggs (adapted from Bon Appétit)

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients: 
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, divided
Cayenne pepper
Kosher salt
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks (optional garnish)
2–4 teaspoons caviar (very optional garnish)

Directions:
1) Combine eggs and 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter in a small room-temperature saucepan. Season lightly with cayenne and salt (alternatively, I’ve used salted butter and skipped adding the salt here).
2) Place over medium-low heat and cook, whisking gently and constantly while scraping bottom and sides of pan, until eggs are just thickened, creamy, and small curds begin to form, 3–4 minutes total. Then remove from heat. (If mixture begins to stick to pan while cooking, remove from heat; whisk gently for 30 seconds, then continue cooking over heat.)
3) Add 1/2 Tbsp. butter; whisk until melted. Season with salt; divide among small bowls. Side note: In the original recipe the chef serves them inside an egg shell.  I haven't tried it yet since it would require some through egg shell cleaning, but it looks so cool that I'm sure I'll try it sometime.
4) Top with whipped cream and caviar, if desired. Or, since I have yet to spring for caviar, (reason why I list it as a “very optional garnish”) I sometimes put nice salt crystals on top of the whipped cream for garnish instead.