The 50th Post! (Chocolate Mudslide Cookies)

Sunday, January 20, 2013


Report: first chocolate craving of the day
time: 9:58 am.
Solution: 3 chocolate chip cookies
resolved: 10:01am


This was the Facebook message I received on Monday morning from my friend Omar following our half hour conversation about chocolate the day before.  We discovered we’re both chocoholics along with our friend, Michael and talked about it at length at our friend’s pool party. Following Omar’s message the next morning, I decided to do something about these chocolate cravings.

Two days prior I had finally received a package which I’d been awaiting for three months.   Containing 2 bags of chocolate chips, 1 large bag of dark chocolate M&Ms, 1 bag of Ghiriardelli dark chocolate squares and assorted baking tools (all sent from my amazing sister!) it was instantly burning a hole in my pocket.  That, along with the fact that I’d raided my friend’s kitchen of my baking supplies, made me want to bake even more.

But, I had a problem.  Our oven sucks.  Yes, it works, yes it heats, but you have no idea how hot it is.  There’s no thermometer and often it ends up burning things on the outside way before baking them on the inside.  In the months before I got back to Chile, this was never a problem, I always just used my friend’s kitchen and they were happy to let me in exchange for free baked goods.  However, sadly, they moved out at the end of December and I was left sad of their moving and (for all intents and purposes), ovenless.

So I wrote Omar. Did he want more chocolate to satisfy his cravings?  Obviously.  Thus, lugging my kitchen over to his, I made these chocolate mudslide cookies for Omar, Ida and other participants of movie night.  Plus, seeing as I love chocolate, and the largest keyword on this site is in fact chocolate, I thought they would be an appropriate recipe for my 50th post.

As always, I hope you enjoy!

Chocolate Mudslide Cookies (Lightly adapted from Cake Spy)

Yield: about 24 cookies


Ingredients:
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chopped chocolate with the sugar and butter. Microwave in 20 second intervals, until about 80 percent of the chocolate is melted. Stir the mixture, and the rest should melt from the heat of the melted chocolate. Let cool to room temperature while you do the following steps.
3) In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
4) In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla. Slowly pour the melted chocolate mixture into the eggs in three additions, stirring between each addition. Stir the flour mixture into the chocolate batter until combined, then stir in the chocolate chips.
5) On baking sheets lined with parchment paper, drop heaping tablespoons of the cookie dough, leaving room for the cookies to spread (about 8 cookies per sheet). Use only the middle or upper rack for these cookies, as they may burn on the lower rack.
6) Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. They will be slightly soft when they come out of the oven, but will become more firm as they cool.