Easy Chocolate Mousse

Wednesday, July 29, 2015


I first searched for this recipe over two years ago when I needed a quick mousse to make, probably for having guests over. I've been dying to add to my blog because I use it all the time and because it's different than other types of mousse, at least the ones I've seen here in Portugal.
I also think this recipe is easier and lighter than some mousse recipes. First, it requires no cooking (unless you count melting chocolate as cooking, I don't).  Second, it uses only egg whites instead of full eggs with yolks, which I believe makes it lighter and also means you don't have to cook it.

Again, I haven't posted it sooner because of my inability to get decent pictures of the mousse (the ones here just don't do it justice) but I believe you all need this recipe. Why is that? Because it's perfect for a last minute dessert and yet is still classy. Also, if you live outside the U.S. and can get whipped cream in one cup boxes that keep for months, you probably have most, if not all, the ingredients already in your house.

Plus, if you're looking for something fancy but simple for a special occasion, this is perfect because it can be dressed up in several ways. For instance, I once made it layered with raspberries and whipped cream for a sort of elegant parfait. If you have a bit more time, you can even add brownie chunks to your parfait to make it even richer!

Just by itself it's perfect for a crowd, in fact, I believe that's what it's meant for since the original recipe makes 10 servings! However, since I usually am just making this for a nice weekday dessert or small dinner party, I've halved the recipe. For the original proportions, just click the link for NYC nom nom, below.



Chocolate Mousse (adapted from NYC nom nom)

Ingredients:

5 oz (140 grams) good quality bittersweet chocolate
1 cup (200 ml box) whipping cream
2 egg whites, room temperature
1 tablespoons sugar
Optional:
1/2 cup (100 ml) whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Raspberries

Directions:

1) Whip the cream to form light peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator.

2) Melt 5oz (140 grams) of chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set above simmering water. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

3) Whip the 2 egg whites until soft peaks form. Then add in the tablespoon of sugar and beat until very fluffy and thick. I recommend using a metal bowl for this as grease from previous recipes can stick around more easily in plastic or ceramic bowls and prevent the egg whites from fluffing.

4) Stir the egg whites into the chocolate. Gently fold in the whipped cream. Pour or spoon mixture into cups or bowls or, if you'd like to get a little more fancy, fit a pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe the mousse into fancy bowls or glasses. Chill until firm, about 2 hours.

5) If you like, just before serving, whip the extra half cup of whipping cream until light and fluffy and add in 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, whip until you reach your desired consistency. Top mousse with whipped cream and raspberries and serve.