Cookie Dough Dip

Sunday, March 10, 2013


The Superbowl. What is it all about to Americans? Obviously, eating. You thought I was going to say football, right? Well it’s not. At least not for this American. I’ve never been a huge fan of football but thanks to my good friend Kyle, I at least now know the logistics and can understand the game. But the food remains the most important part.

Growing up, we would always send my father off the the cigar store to go watch the game and we would stay home, fix nachos and other junk food and watch a movie, occasionally flipping to the Superbowl to see if we could catch some of the commercials.

This year, being in Chile, I thought I would avoid the football madness, but it turned out my friend Keith had other plans. Inviting us all to his Superbowl party he promised wings, nachos and chili (made by Ana) and asked us each to bring something. The problem was, he’d taken all the foods that I would have normally made for the Superbowl. So I decided I’d make dessert.

But it was an excrutiatingly hot Sunday and I, for one, did not want to move. I most especially did not want to attempt to bake something even though I might have tried despite the deplorable state of our oven (which I mostly pretend does not exist).

So I went with this simple dessert which requires no cooking (a little stove action is required, but it’s brief) and is as crazy delicious as it sounds. And just as fattening. But who cares? Look at it. Plus, it’s super easy.  Additionally it’s quite customizable, if you don’t have chocolate chips, use M&Ms or brownie bits or Reese’s Pieces or mini Reese Cups.  The list is endless.  You can also serve it with other cookies, crackers, fruit (I suppose...), pretzels or even a spoon (How Sweet Eats suggested it!). That means, next time you want a simple dessert that will make people’s jaw’s drop, make this.

Cookie Dough Dip (lightly adapted from How Sweet Eats)


Yield: About 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
Close to a full 8-ounce block of cream cheese, softened (I find adding the whole thing is too much)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add brown sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble.  Set aside to cool, and whisk in vanilla.
2) Cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar for 60 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add in brown sugar and butter mixture. Mix until combined.
3) Add the chocolate chips (or whatever chocolate pieces you're using) at this time so the mixer can break them up into pieces.  Or just fold them in
4) Garnish with additional chopped chocolate. Serve with fruit, cookies, crackers, pretzels or a spoon(!).