Chocolate, Cherry, and Hazelnut Biscotti

Wednesday, July 4, 2012


As I’m embarking on my trip to a new job, (in the New York airport right now in fact), I’d like to use this recipe to reflect on last summer. 

One of the wonderful things about any good job is great co-workers. Last summer, I had many of them since I had two jobs. However, a truly awesome co-worker is one who, among other things, also gives you tasty recipes.  The office manager at Kingston Family Vineyards, is one of those people. A wonderful cook, Barbara gave me some great recipes last summer, many of them which I have not even had the chance to try yet. However, in my last cook ever at my co-op, I decided to try something totally new and make one of Barbara’s recipes. It did not disappoint.

Though I was somewhat nervous about trying my hand at making biscotti for the first time ever, on such an important occasion, I decided to do it. It wasn’t the easiest dessert to make, but it certainly wasn’t one of the most complicated I’ve made either. It also, unsurprisingly, went over well with my co-op mates. Now that I’m over my fear of making biscotti, I’ll probably be making this, and other kinds, again soon. Thanks, Barbara!

Chocolate, Cherry, and Hazelnut Biscotti (adapted from Donata Maggipinto)

Yield: 2 dozen

Ingredients:
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (I didn't have any and it didn't seem to be missing anything)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Place hazelnuts baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring once. Turn nuts out onto a towel. Roll up towel; rub off skins. Chop nuts.
3) Pour wine in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Add cherries, and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Drain well.
4) Place sugar and chocolate in a food processor; process until chocolate is finely ground.
5) Place vanilla, egg, and egg yolk in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended (about 1 minute). Add sugar mixture; beat 1 minute.
6) Combine flour and remaining dry ingredients. Stir with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating until blended. Add hazelnuts and cherries; beat just until blended. (The dough will be very stiff.)
7) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly several times. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; pat each roll to a 1-inch thickness.
8) Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
9) Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
10) Cut each roll diagonally into 12 slices. Place, cut sides down, on baking sheet.
11) Bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Cool completely on wire rack.