Chocolate Chambord Cupcakes

Monday, February 6, 2012


All this week I have been dying to bake.  A fact that I blame on my friend Dan and his cruel decision to send me this link on Tuesday night.  After all, how was I supposed to work after going through an endless page of cupcakes with names such as Coconut Rum Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting or Port Wine and Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting?  Swoon.  And please just tell me how I was supposed to continue working with the knowledge that we have chambord and Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Chambord Frosting were just waiting to be made.  

It was tough.  I needed a lot of self control to make it through the week without making these cupcakes. But Friday, I broke, and fortunately my friends, Dan and Micah, were willing to help me make these cupcakes which received so many compliments throughout my house.  The frosting was the best part though (In part, I think, because of how beautiful it looked as a result of my new frosting piping bags! Thank you Mamá).  I think I may swap out the cake next time since it was just so-so in my opinion, but my edits to the frosting definitely resulted in one of the most delicious frostings I've ever had.  The key was just extra cocoa powder instead of using the pound of confectioner's sugar it called for.  So, even if you don't make the cupcakes, make some kind of cake or something to spread this frosting on because it is so good.

Chocolate Chambord Cupcakes (lightly adapted from Ming Makes Cupcakes)

Cupcake Ingredients:
1 cup flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
¾ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp berry jam
1 Tbsp Chambord liqueur

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 350ºF
2) Mix flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl
3) In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy
4) Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and egg
5) Add milk and dry ingredients alternately while still mixing
6) Mix in jam and liqueur
7) Pour batter into lined cupcake pans, fill about ¾ full
8) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out almost clean

Frosting Ingredients:
½ cup butter (1 stick)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup milk
1/8 cup Chambord liqueur

Directions:
1) In a saucepan or in the microwave soften the butter until almost melted
2) Using a hand mixer, mix in cocoa and confectioner's sugar
3) Add milk and vanilla and continue mixing on low speed
4) Add in Chambord and mix until frosting is smooth
5) Frost cupcakes and top with a dollop of jam (or fill cupcakes with jam before frosting).