Tortilla de patata or Spanish tortilla

Sunday, December 18, 2011


It's been a while since I've written a blog post and I suppose that's a good thing since it means I was studying hard for finals.  But, now that they're over, I wanted to post the recipe for something which is (finally) a non baked good and Spanish.  I did, after all, study in Spain for six months and take a cooking class while there.   In fact, I got the recipe for Spanish tortilla from the cooking school we went to as a group in Madrid.  The only problem is, it's only a good recipe in terms of portions. The real reason I know the whole procedure for making them is the maid who came to my host mom's apartment every couple of weeks.  My host mom insisted they were the best so one day I decided to watch how she did it.

Since then, much to my surprise, I've found cause for making tortilla española fairly often. Like a large and very thick omlette made with potatoes and eggs, the Spaniards often cut it into small slices or squares and eat it for tapas.   It is also very common for it to be made at home and simply eaten as part of the meal.   My first opportunity to make it came when my housemate, Charlie, and I prepared Spanish food.  Our meal was Spanish from start to finish and consisted of paella (vegetarian and meat), tortilla española, and arroz con leche.  Then, since I am also a Student Advisor for the Madrid Study Abroad program, my fellow SA and I purchased tortilla española or tortilla de patata (that's what they call it in Spain) for our cultural orientation.  However, for our final event of the quarter before the Madrid group goes abroad for the the winter, Nick and I decided to try our hand at making the tortilla. The results were quite good and it's not as difficult to make as you might think. The hardest part is flipping the tortilla (a fact Nick discovered when he dropped one on the floor) so I would recommend using a small, very non-stick pan to flip.  Otherwise, you'll end up with tortilla on your floor or stuck to your pan.

Tortilla de patata or Tortilla española (Recipe translated and lightly adapted from Cocina Cayena)
Yield: about 2-3, 9-inch tortillas

Ingredients
2.5 pounds of potatoes (brown russet potatoes work fine for this)
8 eggs
1 onion
3 cups of extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
pepper (optional)

Directions
1) Peel and wash the potatoes. Using the widest opening of a box grater, grate the potatoes into thin slices. Set aside. Next, slice the onion into thin strips.
2) Combine the potatoes, onion, and salt in a large pan and add olive oil almost to cover. (I know, it looks like a heart stopping amount of olive oil, but trust me, it's necessary. And besides, no one ever said this was a healthy recipe, though I bet you didn't know it was this bad for you!) Stirring often, allow the potatoes and onions to simmer in the olive oil for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Stir occasionally to make sure the potatoes and onions don't stick to the pan
3) Once cooked, dump the potatoes, onions, and obscene amounts of olive oil, into a paper-towel lined colander to drain.
4) In a large bowl (large enough to combine the eggs and the potato mixture) whisk 8 eggs with some pepper to taste. Though the Spanish would never use pepper since they can't handle even the remotest bit of spice, I like to add a bit.
5) Add the drained potatoes a bit at a time to the eggs, careful not to cook the eggs as the potato mixture will still be hot. Mix well.
6) In an 8 or 9 inch non-stick skillet (really make sure it's non-stick!!), heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Swirl skillet to coat.
7) With a ladle, add about 1/3 of the egg and potato mixture to the pan. Stirring very slightly in the middle (be sure not to break through the bottom layer) continue until the egg is cooked about halfway through along the edges.
8) Using a large plate, cover the pan and carefully but quickly flip the tortilla onto the plate. Then very carefully slip it back into the pan, uncooked side down.  Return to flame.
9) Continue cooking over low to medium heat until it is cooked through.
10) Once it's done, slip it onto a large plate. Make the other 1 or 2 (depending on the size of your pan) and cut into squares or slices to serve.