Build me up, Buttercup

Friday, August 5, 2011

Why do you build me up (Build me up) Buttercup baby just to let me down (Let me down) and mess me around. And then worst of all (Worst of all) you never call baby when you say you will (Say you will) But I love you still....

Okay so that was the first thing that ran through my head when I saw the name of these adorable and delicious breakfast buttercups and let me say, they didn't let me down, not one bit. They actually turned out even better than I expected.

I was so excited the other day when I saw Micah making the beginnings of a ham and cheese sandwich on white squishy bread and I realized that we had muffin tins. Finally! Which meant I could take those couple of simple ingredients and turn them into the adorable buttercups you see in the pictures. They're super simple to make and let me just say this, if you don't believe they were good, just ask Ross (in the picture). We only had enough ingredients to make four of these delicious little things and Ross was one of the lucky chosen ones to get one. Being the nice guy he is he decided to share with Alex. A decision that he immediately regretted. Poor Ross. I guess we'll just have to make more of these next time.  

Breakfast Buttercups

Ingredients
10 medium eggs (I think we used large eggs and it still worked)
10 slices of squishy white sandwich bread, crusts removed.
4 tablespoons butter, melted
10 thin slices deli Swiss or cheddar cheese (about 5 oz)
5 thin slices of ham (about 5 oz), halved crosswise
Salt and pepper
Cooking spray

Directions
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Place eggs in large bowl and cover with hot tap water. Let sit 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, roll bread as thin as possible with rolling pin.  Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray, so any egg white that leaks out doesn't bake onto the pan, and press into 10 perimeter cups of the muffin tin, leaving 2 center cups empty.  Brush bread cups with melted butter and bake until light golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. (or if you're ghetto like us and don't have a pastry brush, drizzle the butter on, it works just as well)
3. Top each cheese slice with ham slice. Make cut from center to 1 side of each stack. Fold each ham and cheese stack into cone and press into toasted cup. Crack 1 egg into each cup and season with salt and pepper. 
4. Return muffin tin to oven and bake until egg whites are barely set and still appear slightly moist, 14 to 18 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Let sit 5 minutes then serve.

One note though, they're rather large so you won't be wanting a side of pancakes with these guys (unless you're my friends who could still eat these plus an entire house). You'll probably want just a side of fruit salad or something else small.